Thursday 28 July 2011

The South Indian "Dikashan" Coffee

Coffee is a major social institution in our part of the world. It can be described as being an icon of Kannada and even Tamil culture and is a revered tradition in most households. It is customary that a cup of coffee is offered to any visitor when visiting a household in South India (In North India, Tea is preferred.) One sip of this delicious drink will make you understand why Indian "Dikashan" coffee is such a revered beverage down South.

Serving the filter coffee is one of the most interesting parts of preparing the coffee. The coffee is poured back and forth between the ‘Dawra’ and the ‘Lota’ in huge arc-like motions of the hand. A ‘Dawra’ is a wide metal saucer that is used to gently spin the coffee around to cool it. The ‘Lota’ is a tumbler used to hold the coffee and the coffee is drunk from the Lota. By pouring the coffee between the Dawra and the Lota, you will cool the hot coffee down to a suitable temperature while leaving a thick layer of froth on top to enjoy.

Recently, me and my friends went to a Cafe Coffee Day outlet at the Sector-14 shopping arcade in Gurgaon. The menu card had Hot Chocolate, Espresso with cream, Tropical Iceberg, Almond Frappes and what not. I felt there ought to be a place for the traditional ‘Hot filter Coffee’ amongst these. I ordered for a simple Capuccino while my friends went for those customized drinks.

I remember drinking mesmerizing coffee made by my both grandmas. I don't get to drink it often at home here. Maybe this was the only trait my Mom didn't inherit from her mother. That is why I like visiting my cousin a lot. My Aunt makes filter coffee 6'o clock every morning. An apt drink for refreshment. Here at home, I have to drink tea or Corn flakes with milk. Drinking these two is a sacrilege to me.

I love coffee any time of the day. And by coffee, I mean filter coffee. I know a lot of people who are coffee addicts. A friend of mine drinks a lot of Coffee in college. He says, "If you don’t drink coffee at least thrice a day, it’s a violation". He certainly has brown blood in his veins.

I consider that the making of filter coffee is almost a ritual, for the coffee beans have to be roasted and ground first. Then the powder is put into a filter set and boiling hot water is added to prepare the decoration and allowed to set for about 15 minutes. The decoration is then added to milk with sugar to taste. The final drink is poured individually from one container to another in rapid succession to make the ideal frothy cup of filter coffee.

And you get steaming, hot filter coffee with an exhilarating aroma, creamy-golden-brown froth, fulsome flavor and lingering after-taste. Nothing like it to refresh and stimulate. And so easy to achieve if you make it right.

Next time you go to a Lavazza or a Barista, recommend those guys to add this celestial drink on their list.....

No comments:

Post a Comment